Ben Brown '21, Peck's very own MasterChef Junior, produced this video demonstration to illustrate how to make his Citrus Napoleon from this season 7 of FOX's reality cooking show.
1 cup milk
1/3 cup of sugar
1/8 cup corn starch
pinch of salt
1 Tbsp butter
1 sheet packaged puff pastry
- Place milk in a saucepan on medium heat and warm almost to boiling
point, but do not boil. Add sugar, cornstarch and salt to a mixing
bowl and lightly whisk to combine.
- Separate the yolk from the eggs and add to mixture, then whisk to
combine egg yolks. Turn off the burner and slowly add warm milk from
the saucepan in quarter cup amounts to the mixing bowl and continue
whisking until dry ingredients have softened and smoothed.
- Then add the mixture from the mixing bowl back into the saucepan, turn
burner back on to medium and continue whisking. Whisk continually for
eight or nine minutes until mixture becomes noticeable firm. Initially it
will seem like it is not firming, but it will eventually. Turn off
- Using a zester, zest the orange and the lemon into the mixture.
Then squeeze the juice from half a lemon into the mixture. Mix well.
- Put the thickened custard into a plastic container and use plastic
wrap to press down on the mixture to compress the air out and then
seal and refrigerate until cool.
- Roll out a sheet of the puff pastry and working quickly cut three
rectangles of pastry from one pastry sheet. Place rectangles on a
sheet pan and then place another equally sized sheet pan snugly on top
to keep the puff pastry from puffing too much in the first stage of
cooking. Bake in an oven at 475 degrees 14 minutes. Then remove
the top sheet pan and bake until pastry is golden brown (about 10 more
minutes). Cool and refrigerate pastry rectangles
- Place cold custard in a piping bag and pipe generously over the first
two pastry rectangles. Stack one on top of the other and then place
the thirds sheet on top. Pipe three dollops on top to decorate and
place one blueberry on each dollop.